Thursday, January 5, 2012

After school buffet

Around 12:30 I had my pre-packaged lunch from home. Spinach and some left over chicken I made earlier this week. I completely forgot to take a picture of my cute little Tupperware container until after.. OOPS. My next class wasn't for another 2 hours so I begged Chris to take me to Starbucks my favorite coffee place! He was SO happy to go.. 


The rest of the day was spent waiting in the library going to class, waiting some more in the library then going to my last class. After my anatomy it was 6:15 and I was beyond hungry.

Sushi Buffet
 Chris suggested we go to his favorite place, a local sushi buffet. I've been there once before with him and it was okay, nothing too special but tonight I didn't care I was so hungry I could eat the whole buffet.

Now most people go to buffets to stuff their faces right? This is indeed what Chris had set out to do, but I cant afford to eat plate after plate nor do I want to.

Buffets can be pretty intimidating to someone who has had problems with ED. I know this because before I went to treatment 2 years ago I would never ever set foot into one. All I thought of was bountiful amounts of saturated, fatty foods.

This is not at all the case. Yes, there are bad/good/ugly/healthy foods served at buffets but ultimately you choose what goes on the plate. I learned this on a "food challenge" at The Renfrew Center, we set out in a group of 6 to a sushi restaurant and ate the food! I was petrified but managed to do it, whenever I think of a buffet I go back to that day and remember how it wasn't as scary as I thought.

I tell myself:
  • Choose by food groups
  • Eat mindfully 
  • Pick a variety, but in moderation
  • Most importantly,  don't be afraid to try something new.
Wanna see what my plate looked like?

Sushi, green beans, chicken, shrimp and something new: Beef wrapped around asparagus. (sounds weird but it was really good)


Whats something strange but good you have tried lately?

What do you order at buffets if you go?