Monday, January 9, 2012

FALALA

Falafels

Personally, I enjoy having a nice whole wheat pita filled with falafels,that is, until today. Chris wanted to eat at Moe's but I don't eat there so I walked to the place next door that serves falafels. I rarely have this meal so I never really get sick of it but as I was eating I asked "Is a falafel protein?"

I automatically assumed it was since it is served as a main dish but I never got the facts. I immediately looked it up and got mixed reviews so I turned to the website I trust most and this is what they had to say:

Nutrition Stats

Falafel as prepared from a store-bought mix contains 170 calories for two patties and 840 mg of sodium. Such a serving only contains 3 g of fat, none saturated as long as polyunsaturated or monounsaturated cooking oil such as olive or canola is used in the cooking process. The approximate breakdown of fatty acids is 19 mg of omega-3 and 84 mg of omega-6.

Vitamins and Minerals

Falafel is a moderately good source of the trace mineral manganese, which helps your body utilize key nutrients such as biotin and ascorbic acid, promotes healthy bones, thyroid function, blood sugar levels and nerves, and helps protect your cells from free-radical damage. Falafel also contains minor amounts of the B vitamins thiamine, riboflavin and folate, as well as minerals such as iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc and copper.

Protein and Carbohydrates

A typical serving of falafel contains around 27 g of carbohydrates, mostly from the beans or chickpeas. It also contains 15 g of protein, which combined with a whole grain such as whole-wheat pita bread provides a complete protein source with all essential amino acids.

Fiber

Falafel made from chickpeas is high in fiber, with around 12 g. Chickpeas are full of soluble fiber, which forms a gel-like substance in the digestive tract that helps eliminate cholesterol from your body, and insoluble fiber, which can help prevent digestive disorders like irritable bowel syndrome and diverticulitis.

Read more: Source
 

Eating out is always tricky because you never know how the food is prepared and cooked. I could not find anything on this specific restaurant but I did include healthy toppings inside my pita: lettuce, tomato, tabbouleh, corn and chickpeas. No matter what the nutritional value, I was satisfied with my meal. I rarely eat at this place so it's definitely not going to kill me if I ate a fried falafel. 

My final thoughts on falafels are; fun word, funny looking, and great in moderation. 

How do you feel about falafels?